Use the lying down triceps extension exercise to sculpt your arms in my Dumbbell Arms Workout!
I know that biceps get all of the glory. They’re usually kind of the main event, but the triceps are equally as important. Anytime you perform a movement that requires some sort of pushing or pressing you are using your triceps. Anytime you straighten out your arm, you’re using your triceps. I bet that you do that quite a few times throughout the day.
It’s equally as important to work the triceps as it is the biceps for several reasons:
- Train the triceps equally as hard as the biceps to prevent injury from muscle imbalances.
- If you want your arms to look more toned, or get bigger, you have to work both sides equally. Building your triceps will actually contribute to your biceps looking bigger due to the increased arm circumference. Additionally, the triceps are overall bigger muscles than you’re biceps. Working them will naturally contribute to having bigger arms.
- The triceps assist other muscles of the chest and shoulders in the movements that they perform. To have a fully integrated musculature system, they need to be worked just as much.
Lying Down Triceps Extension
- Lie down with one dumbbell on each side of your body.
- Use your upper body weight and your forearms like fulcrum levers to lift the dumbbells off the floor.
- Press the dumbbells straight up so that they are positioned over the shoulders with straight arms.
- Bend the knees and plant the soles of the feet firmly on the floor.
- Bending only at the elbows, lower the dumbbells to the sides of the head, then press arms straight again.
- Prevent the elbows from flaring out to the sides.
- Do not go to failure! Guess where the dumbbells will fall?