Wouldn’t it be great if you could support a community while holiday shopping? Wouldn’t it also be great to support local businesses and small business owners instead of multinational corporations? At the same time, wouldn’t it also be great to support a really awesome nonprofit whose sole purpose is to lift people up from poverty and enhance the region we call home through grassroots investigative journalism?
Street Roots is a nonprofit, grassroots newspaper that assists people experiencing homelessness and poverty by creating flexible income opportunities. Through education, advocacy and personal expression, Street Roots is a catalyst for individual and social change.
Over 70 active vendors buy and resell Street Roots in the Portland metropolitan area and Vancouver. Between 15,000 and 25,000 copies of Street Roots are sold or distributed every month.
Vendors normally purchase papers for 25¢ each and sell them for $1 each. The 75¢ that a vendor nets from each paper sold helps him or her meet basic housing, food, clothing, and hygiene needs. Many vendors support themselves primarily through sales of the paper.
The 25¢ from each paper that remains with Street Roots is used to cover essential expenses such as printing costs, payroll, distribution costs, rent, utilities, office expenses, vendor incentives, and emergency assistance.
Street Roots receives additional support for operating expenses from local and regional foundations, individual donations and in-kind contributions.
Street Roots, published in Portland, Oregon, has been Portland’s flagship publication addressing homelessness and poverty since 1998. The paper is published every two weeks.
This year your support will help Street Roots:
- Help hundreds of individuals experiencing homelessness and poverty with immediate income and improve their quality of life
- Help house or prevent homelessness for more than 250 individuals
- Produce award-winning, quality journalism that is focused on solutions
- Highlight organizations and individuals across a broad spectrum of the community
- Continue to produce more than 100,000 Rose City Resource guides distributed to more than 150 organizations and institutions in the Portland area
- Help change community perspectives and build coalitions working toward fighting poverty throughout the region
Bidding begins at 4pm PST on Thursday, Oct 27, and ends at 3pm PST on Sunday, Nov 6. This year they have added a Buy It Now feature. Whether you choose to buy it now or bid in the auction, your purchase will support Street Roots programs.
Categories in this year’s auction include:
- Art and Photography – Paintings, photographs, and more from Portland’s eclectic art scene
- Cycling and Sports – Portland is one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in the country
- Food and Beverage – Portland is a foodie paradise full of unique culinary surprises, coffee shops, and micro breweries
- Getaways – Hike in a rain forest, golf in central Oregon, experience the beautiful rocky coastline, and more
- Health and Wellness – yoga, Pilates, massage, Tai Chi, and haircuts
- Uniquely PDX – because Portland is unique
Check out the auction today, bid, and contribute to a fantastic cause, it might very well be the best money you spend all holiday season!