Building upon my collection of SandBell exercises, the SandBell slam, shoots your heart rate way up!
The SandBell slam is one exercise that you will not be able to resist if you get your hands on this piece of exercise equipment. Since this is one of the very best exercises to do with SandBells, I couldn’t resist making a video demonstrating this move.
This exercise works just about everything, and really gets your heart rate up for added cardiovascular exercise.
Besides all of the physical benefits of doing this exercise, it’s just plain fun to slam something into the ground without fear of breaking it. As I mentioned in my previous SandBell video article, they are durable enough to slam repeatedly. In fact, in my bootcamps I challenge people to break them. With at least 6 months of solid use, I have yet to see one burst open.
Whenever I train someone to do this exercise in bootcamp, I tell them that this is the part of the workout where they can take out any frustration that they might have from a significant other, evil boss, children, in-law, or anyone else who might get under their skin. Then, once they start slamming away, I tease them and tell them that they must not have any anger inside of them. They usually start slamming harder!
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder’s width, with the SandBell between your feet.
- Scoot your hips back while you reach down and grab the sides of the SandBell.
- Keep your head and chest up, pull the SandBell off the floor, and press it overhead.
- Come up onto your toes, so that you can work the calves as well.
- Slam the SandBell into the floor with power and intensity.
- Don’t stop there, get a rhythm going and slam the SandBell repeatedly into the floor. Try to time your breathing with the movement.
- Do a set number of slams or, do it for a predetermined duration.
Keep your core tight and engaged during the entire exercise.